Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Digital Health Care Records?

The thought of digitalizing health records seems very risky but also seems almost necessary. With global warming being such a huge issue these days, we need to find every possible way be more green. Digitalization is the most green you can get! With everything done on the computer, there would be a huge decrease in the use of paper in all doctor's offices and hospitals. This is the type of change that we need to see these days.

However, there are many risks included in digitalizing health records. It is a lot easier for people to hack into files that are on the internet. There may be better ways to make it easier to access these health records. For example, inserting a chip into everyone's skin that included all their health records and other things could potentially be a good idea. This would be easy and extremely eco-friendly. Also, it would hard for hackers to get into. Of coarse this also has a downside to it (as does everything else). I feel like putting everyone's health record on the internet can be very dangerous because there are so many good hackers out there, so having some alternative plans (like the chip in skin) should be something that we should think about.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. The chip idea is pretty interesting, and certainly less vulnerable to hackers than an online version. But I wouldn't feel comfortable having the only copy of something so important in my body; for example, if I put the chip in my arm but lost my arm in some sort of accident, I'd lose all my health info as well. If we use the chip idea, I'd want some sort of back-up copy of my health records, probably on a computer somewhere. I agree with you that digitizing health records is risky, but necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea. This certainly would be a secure way to store information, bar losing your arm. Another thing to think about is how one would read information off of that chip though. It would have to have some kind of wireless connection to be practical (I'm assuming you don't want to draw blood every time you need to access your personal info). And then its less secure than a regular computer sitting in your house.

    ReplyDelete